Protecting The Rights Of Truck Accident Victims In Ohio
They think they own the road, and you pay the price for their foolishness. Now the trucking company’s insurance company is using every legal defense it can to limit the compensation you deserve for your injuries. With everything at stake from a serious semi-truck crash, you need an experienced injury lawyer looking out for you. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with an experienced truck accident attorney.
Working Hard To Get The Compensation You Deserve
At the law firm of Bashein & Bashein in Cleveland, we have been helping semi tractor-trailer wreck injury victims throughout Ohio since 1949. Our experience helps our clients immensely as we understand what judges and juries are looking for and how to craft an effective case.
Experience matters, and we have it. Before signing anything from the insurance company or making a statement that could hurt you, contact us for a free consultation with an attorney.
Why Choose the Truck Accident Attorneys at Bashein & Bashein?
- Our Cleveland truck accident lawyers have over 20 years of legal experience and have recovered over $450 million on behalf of our clients.
- We are built on a foundation of trust, integrity, and excellence. You will always be able to reach out to our firm and ask questions about your claim and its progress.
- Our firm always puts our client’s needs first. We will handle all legal matters on your behalf so that you can focus on your health, not litigation.
Cleveland And Akron Tractor-Trailer Accident Lawyers Handling All Aspects of Truck Crash Litigation
Our attorneys have extensive experience handling complex truck accident cases, including 18-wheeler jackknife accidents, as well as collisions involving delivery and commercial vehicles. We know how to prove primary and contributing factors:
- Negligent hiring of unqualified drivers
- Mechanical or maintenance issues with the truck
- Reckless driving or traffic violations
- Driver fatigue and safety violations
- Overloaded or unsecured cargo
- Rollover truck accidents, including from tire blowouts
- Driving under the influence
- Negligence of third parties (shipping customers, distracted motorists, etc.)
We will conduct a thorough investigation into the accident, examining logbooks to determine if the driver and company were following the many state and national regulations that apply to commercial trucking.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents in Cleveland, OH
Many factors can lead to a truck accident. Dangerous weather conditions like rain, snow, and sleet may lead to a serious collision. Additionally, defective vehicle parts and hazardous roads can also contribute to truck accidents on Cleveland roads.
However, truck accidents are often caused by negligence, usually on the part of the driver or the trucking company. To operate these large, heavy-duty vehicles, drivers must be properly trained and follow the law. Additionally, trucking companies must ensure that their fleet is safe to drive and that drivers are equipped to handle these dangerous vehicles.
If a truck driver or trucking company fails to uphold these responsibilities, serious accidents can occur. Below are a few examples of negligence that could lead to truck accidents:
- Driving while distracted
- Driving while fatigued
- Driving while intoxicated by alcohol or drugs
- Driving over the speed limit
- Engaging in reckless or aggressive driving
- Failing to adjust driving behaviors for the road conditions
- Hiring drivers who are untrained or unlicensed
- Failing to regularly inspect or maintain trucks
- Forcing drivers to violate hours-of-service regulations
- Failure to yield the right of way on the road
What Compensation Is Available After a Cleveland Truck Accident?
If you are injured in a truck accident caused by someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to financial compensation. By filing an insurance claim or a lawsuit against the at-fault party, you can recover damages to help pay for the financial, physical, and emotional losses that you endured as a result of the collision.
Two types of damages are generally available after a Cleveland truck accident. The first category is economic damages, which involve financial losses like medical expenses, disability accommodations, lost wages, and property damage. The second category is non-economic damages, which refer to the physical and emotional pain and suffering that you experienced.
Who Is Liable for a Truck Accident in Ohio?
Truck accidents can cause extensive damage, from severe injuries and extensive property damage to lifelong disabilities and emotional distress. If you were injured in a Cleveland truck collision, you deserve justice for the losses that you suffered. Many of these accidents occur because of the negligent and wrongful actions of other people or companies—and if negligence caused your accident, you are entitled to file a legal claim.
Depending on your situation, you could file an insurance claim or lawsuit against the following parties:
- The Truck Driver: Truck drivers have a responsibility to operate their vehicles safely and follow the law, including state and federal trucking regulations. If the driver’s negligent actions led to your collision, you could pursue a claim against him or her. You could also name the trucking company in your claim if the driver was an employee of the company.
- The Trucking Company: Trucking companies also have to follow state and federal trucking regulations, and must ensure that their drivers are licensed, trained, and ready to take these vehicles out onto the road. These entities must also keep their fleet in safe working condition and perform regular maintenance and inspections. If the trucking company fails to uphold any of these duties, it would be liable for any accidents that occur as a result.
- Product Manufacturers: Some truck accidents occur not because of a driver’s negligence, but a defective part within the vehicle. If a product defect caused your accident, you could file a lawsuit against the product’s manufacturers.
- Government Agencies: In some cases, dangerous road conditions may also lead to a truck accident. In this situation, you could file a lawsuit against the government agency that was responsible for maintaining the road and keeping the area safe.
We Work With Experts Who Can Help Your Case
Truck accidents are some of the most complex injury claims that you could pursue. This is because these collisions are often very devastating and catastrophic, resulting in significant injuries and damages. Additionally, you may need access to the trucking company’s records and deep knowledge of the trucking industry to determine the cause of the accident.
Expert witnesses can provide valuable insight into your claim, helping you establish your right to financial compensation. At Bashein & Bashein, our attorneys can tap into our wide network of expert witnesses who can support your claim. From accident reconstructionists to rehabilitation specialists, we have access to the top experts in a variety of fields. We work closely with them to craft a compelling case that will help secure the full compensation you need.
What to Do After an Unexpected Truck Accident in Cleveland, OH
Being involved in a truck accident can be a very scary experience. However, the actions that you take immediately after the collision can have a major impact on your case’s chances of success. It is critical to take the following steps after the truck accident to seek help and start collecting evidence for your future case:
- Call 911 or ask someone to call 911 for you. Report the accident to the responding police officer and ask for his or her name or badge number. You can access the report later and use it as evidence in your case.
- Seek medical care as soon as you can, even if you do not feel immediately injured. Many injuries do not show apparent symptoms right away and can worsen without treatment. Save your medical records.
- Collect evidence by taking photographs and videos and asking witnesses for their contact information. Briefly collect the truck driver’s contact, employer, and insurance information.
- Contact a Cleveland truck accident lawyer to represent your case. Do not speak to any insurance representatives or trucking company personnel before speaking with your lawyer.
Contact the Truck Accident Attorneys at Bashein & Bashein
A truck accident can be a painful and devastating experience. It can be difficult to know what to do next, especially if you are recovering from a serious injury. In these situations, you need an attorney from Bashein & Bashein on your side to fight for your right to justice.
Our lawyers represent residents of Cleveland and beyond in their insurance claims and lawsuits against negligent truck drivers, companies, and more. Call our Cleveland truck accident injury attorneys at 216-771-3239 or toll-free at 800-771-4457, or e-mail us to schedule a free consultation.