Slip-and-fall accidents are common, and they often lead to serious injuries and losses. These incidents are often caused by Cleveland property owners’ negligence and failure to maintain safe premises. If you were injured on someone else’s property, the attorneys at Bashein & Bashein can help you seek justice.
Our Cleveland slip-and-fall accident lawyers will work closely with you to represent your lawsuit against the property owner and secure the settlement that you deserve. With over 20 years of legal experience, you can trust our firm to fight for your right to justice and financial recovery. Contact our Cleveland slip-and-fall accident attorneys for a free consultation.
Why Choose the Slip-and-Fall Accident Lawyers at Bashein & Bashein?
- Our firm maintains a case success rate of over 99% and has recovered millions of dollars for our clients. We are dedicated to securing maximum results in each and every case.
- Our attorneys specialize in personal injury litigation, including slip-and-fall claims. We leverage our wealth of knowledge, experience, and resources to craft compelling cases in our clients’ favor.
- Our lawyers are routinely recognized by their peers. For the past 17 years, we have been named in the top 10 attorneys in Ohio and the top 5 in Cleveland.
The Ins And Outs Of Slip-And-Fall Accidents
Slip-and-fall accidents are part of a broad category called premises liability. It holds that businesses and property owners have a duty to ensure the safety of visitors.
The classic slip-and-fall accident is just that: A customer in a store slips in some spilled liquid and fractures their skull on the floor.
Not every slip and fall leads to compensation. If the customer spilled the liquid, and then slips in it and falls, the property owner is not responsible. If the spill occurred hours before the customer walked down that aisle, the owner can be held accountable. Businesses are expected to take reasonable measures to protect visitors — in this case, by mopping up the spill or blocking off the aisle.
Likewise, if the victim of the accident is a trespasser, not a customer, the owner is probably not responsible for damages.
There are many causes of slip-and-fall injuries:
- Slipping on an icy sidewalk
- Falling down stairs that are uneven or have a loose railing
- Tripping on an uneven floor
- Poor lighting that causes you to stumble
- Merchandise falling and hitting you
- Walking over an open trap door
Slip-and-Fall Accidents Lead to Serious Injuries
Slip-and-fall accidents can be very painful and lead to very serious injuries. In fact, over 800,000 people per year are hospitalized due to injuries that they sustain in a fall. Approximately 3 million older adults are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
Below are some of the most common injuries in slip-and-fall accidents:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Broken bones and fractures, especially in the hips
- Soft tissue injuries like sprains and strains
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord damage
- Cuts and abrasions
- Knee damage
- Shoulder injuries
While a slip-and-fall accident may not seem serious at first, the risk of injury is still present. Many victims do not experience symptoms until a few hours or even days after the initial fall. For this reason, it is critical to seek medical care as soon as possible following the accident.
How to Prove a Slip-and-Fall Lawsuit in Ohio
If a property owner fails to maintain safe premises, he or she could be liable for any slip-and-fall accidents that occur. By filing a lawsuit against the owner, you could recover financial compensation to pay for any medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages that you experienced.
To prove a slip-and-fall accident in Ohio, three important facts need to be established:
- Duty of Care: The property owner owed you a duty to keep the premises safe and free from fall hazards. If a dangerous condition does arise, the owner has a responsibility to fix the situation and warn visitors about the hazard.
- Breach of Duty: The property owner failed to uphold the duty of care through a negligent act or failure to act. Neglected tenant complaints, ice and snow left on sidewalks, and poor maintenance are a few examples of breach of duty.
- Causation: The property owner’s negligence caused your slip-and-fall accident. Evidence like surveillance footage, witness testimony, and medical records can help establish causation.
While these facts may seem straightforward, proving a slip-and-fall accident claim can be complex. Your personal injury attorney from Bashein & Bashein can help you gather the evidence to prove each of these elements and establish your right to compensation.
Schedule a Free Consultation with Serious Cleveland Premises Liability Attorneys
People sometimes think slip-and-fall accidents are not serious, but they can be. Customers have been killed by collapsing store shelves. They have been blinded by chemicals. They have fallen down tall stairways. They have broken legs in malfunctioning elevators.
At Bashein & Bashein Company, L.P.A., we handle every kind of slip-and-fall injury, including wrongful death. It is a complex area of law that is heavily dependent on related cases. Our attorneys stay abreast of relevant case law so we can deliver maximum compensation for you — for medical expenses, missed paychecks and more.