Emergency Personnel Injured On Duty In Vehicle Accidents
Police Officers • Firefighters • EMT And Paramedics
Police cars on the side of the road are “sitting ducks” for drunk drivers or inattentive motorists. Firefighters, ambulance crews and police officers are injured every day in traffic crashes or while standing near rescue scenes.
The law firm of Bashein & Bashein represents police, fire and emergency medical workers injured in auto accidents throughout northeast Ohio. Whether municipal employees or privately employed, they retain all the rights of any citizen to bring a personal injury claim for an on-duty crash or pedestrian accident.
We understand the risks that police officers, firefighters and ambulance crews face, and we are committed to your rightful compensation for medical care, lost earnings and lasting disability. Contact our Cleveland law office for a free consultation.
Why Choose Bashein & Bashein for Your Injury Claim?
- We are dedicated to protecting our community’s heroes. Our firm has represented over 1,000 police officers, firefighters, and first responders in all types of legal issues.
- Our attorneys maintain a case success rate of over 99% and have recovered millions for our clients. We will advocate aggressively for your right to maximum recovery.
- We understand how painful it can be to be involved in any type of motor vehicle accident. We will handle all of your legal matters so that you can concentrate on your health.
Cleveland And Akron Police And Rescue Vehicle Accident Attorneys
We have represented police officers and sheriff’s deputies, paramedics and ambulance drivers, firefighters and other emergency personnel:
- Intersection crashes while responding to calls
- Police officers injured while patrolling
- Officers injured (in or out of the squad car) during traffic stops
- Firefighters injured in collisions or falls from fire trucks
- Personnel struck by other vehicles at emergency scenes
- Other on-the-job vehicle-related accidents
We handle workers’ compensation claims, but many police, fire and rescue clients mistakenly believe they are limited only to employer-paid benefits. We will vigorously pursue related personal injury lawsuits, which can fully replace future earnings and provide additional compensation not available through workers’ comp, such as damages for pain and suffering, and punitive damages if applicable.
Common Causes of Police and Rescue Vehicle Accidents
Every day, first responders work in high-risk, dangerous situations—and traffic accidents are a major occupational danger. In fact, motor-vehicle–related incidents accounted for 33% of all line-of-duty deaths for law enforcement officers from 2011 to 2020.
Accidents involving police and rescue vehicles can happen for several reasons. In some cases, external factors like weather, poor road conditions, and low visibility contribute to these collisions. However, many of these collisions occur due to other drivers on the road.
Below are some common causes of police and rescue vehicle accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Driving over the speed limit
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Running a red light or a stop sign
- Failing to pull over for an emergency vehicle
- Reckless or aggressive driving, especially when fleeing from the police
Legal Options for Injured First Responders in Akron, OH
A car accident can lead to serious and painful injuries, such as broken bones, internal organ damage, amputations, and paralysis. If you are a first responder who was injured in a motor vehicle collision, you can suffer from physical pain, emotional trauma, and financial hardship due to the incident. In these situations, you deserve justice.
At Bashein & Bashein, our attorneys represented injured police officers, firefighters, and other first responders in workers’ compensation claims or personal injury lawsuits. Depending on the cause of your collision, you could recover benefits from one of the following processes:
- Workers’ Compensation Claims: All on-the-job injuries are covered by workers’ compensation insurance. This coverage pays benefits like medical expenses, vocational rehabilitation, and temporary and permanent disability. If you are injured in a car accident while in the line of duty, you can pursue a claim and secure compensation for these benefits.
- Third-Party Lawsuits: If a negligent third party is responsible for your car accident, you could pursue a lawsuit against the at-fault motorist. For example, say that you are operating an emergency vehicle with the sirens on, signaling to motorists that they must pull over. One driver fails to stop, enters an intersection, and strikes your vehicle. You could pursue a lawsuit against this motorist.
If you are unsure what to do after your car accident, contact a personal injury attorney at Bashein & Bashein as soon as possible. Our firm can assess your case and help you understand which option is right for you. Then, we can help you take your first steps toward recovering the settlement that you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation with the Lawyers at Bashein & Bashein
If you were seriously injured while protecting your community, Bashein & Bashein is here to protect your rights and your future. We will explore all of your claims for an on-duty accident or any work-related injury. Call 216-771-3239 or toll-free 800-771-4457 or e-mail us today to schedule a free consultation.