You Deserve Compensation For Your Injuries. We Can Help.
Even though you followed the rules of the road, followed the speed limit and paid attention to what you were doing, a negligent driver caused an accident that has left you suffering from terrible injuries. How will you pay your bills?
How much will your treatment cost? That irresponsible driver probably doesn’t care, but the motor vehicle accident lawyers of Bashein & Bashein in Cleveland do. We will fight aggressively on your behalf to get every cent of compensation you are entitled to.
Our firm has been providing sound legal counsel and skilled representation to the victims of serious accidents since 1949. Our attorneys have handled cases in all courts, including the Ohio Supreme Court. Call 216-771-3239 or toll-free 800-771-4457 or send us an e-mail to get in touch with a dedicated car accidents lawyer.
Why Choose Our Attorneys for Your Car Accident Claim?
- Navigating a car accident claim can be complex. With over 20 years of legal experience, our Cleveland personal injury lawyers can guide you through the litigation process and help identify your optimal path to recovery.
- Our attorneys have recovered over $450 million on behalf of our clients. We are dedicated to securing maximum results and will work diligently to secure the highest possible settlement in your case.
- We have received numerous awards and distinctions recognizing our track record of success. We have been named as one of the top 10 attorneys in the state of Ohio and one of the top 5 lawyers in Cleveland.
Victims of Cleveland Car Accidents Deserve Justice
In Ohio, drivers have certain responsibilities whenever they take their vehicles onto the road. Motorists need to follow state traffic laws. They must also operate their vehicles carefully for the conditions. Any driver who violates these duties and causes an accident deserves to be held accountable.
Ohio is a fault-based accident state that requires at-fault motorists to pay for any accidents that they cause. To uphold this responsibility, drivers must either purchase a bond, post collateral, or buy liability car insurance.
If you are injured in a Cleveland car accident, you have the right to pursue a claim against the negligent driver. In many cases, you could file an insurance claim or pursue a personal injury lawsuit in civil court.
By filing a claim, you could recover financial compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, property damage, and more. At Bashein & Bashein, our Cleveland car accident attorneys can help you navigate the legal process and seek justice for your injuries.
We Understand The Rules Of The Road
Not only do we have a thorough understanding of the rules of the road, we know what judges and juries are looking for and have the skills and resources to conduct a top to bottom investigation to determine who is responsible for your injuries.
We go toe to toe with powerful insurance companies, and our experienced motor vehicle accident lawyers fight hard for our clients in a variety of cases involving:
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Ohio
Car accidents can happen at any time, in any place. In Cleveland, these collisions often occur as a result of negligent driving, such as a failure to yield the right of way or follow the posted speed limit. However, dangerous road conditions and mechanical failures may also lead to serious collisions.
The Ohio State Highway Patrol collects data on collisions that occur throughout the state every year. In 2021, a total of 269,149 collisions occurred in Ohio—with 1,242 of these accidents resulting in fatalities and 6,393 leading to serious injuries.
Below are some of the most common factors that led to these collisions:
- 37,636 accidents occurred due to a failure to yield the right of way
- 31,279 accidents involved drivers who violated the speed limit
- 13,656 accidents occurred due to a failure to stop at a stop sign or red light
- 11,883 collisions involved distracted driving
- 11,053 accidents involved driving under the influence of alcohol
- 4,272 accidents involved driving under the influence of drugs
What Compensation Is Available in a Car Accident Claim?
A car accident can cause serious, sometimes life-changing injuries. It is common for victims of serious collisions to require extensive medical care and develop long-term complications. If you are injured in a car crash, you may suffer significant financial, physical, and emotional damages.
By filing a car accident insurance claim or lawsuit, you could hold a negligent driver accountable for the losses that you endured. You have the right to recover damages for economic damages, like medical expenses, lost wages, and property repairs or replacements. You could also secure non-economic damages, which are known as pain and suffering.
In limited cases, you may qualify for a third category of compensation known as punitive damages. Ohio awards punitive damages in cases where a defendant acts with malice, fraud, or intentionally harms the victim. Cases involving drunk driving or road rage often qualify for these damages.
A Cleveland car accident lawyer from Bashein & Bashein can help you identify all potential avenues to compensation. Your attorney will carefully review your case, consult with experts, and accurately calculate your potential settlement. With this information, you can advocate for the highest possible award—and avoid financial hardship in the future.
What to Do After a Cleveland Car Crash
If you are involved in an unexpected car accident, it can be difficult to know what to do next. A collision can be scary, and you could feel shocked, overwhelmed, or disoriented. In these situations, take the following steps to protect yourself and gather evidence for your future insurance claim or lawsuit:
- Call the Police: After a car accident, it is important to call 911 and report the accident to the police. This will bring emergency medical services and law enforcement to the scene. The responding officers will create a police report, which you could use as evidence in your claim.
- Go to the Doctor: Next, you should go to the doctor and seek medical attention for any injuries. Because some injuries may not show symptoms immediately, it is critical to go to the hospital, even if you do not feel any pain. Save all of your medical records.
- Collect Evidence: Evidence in a car accident is freshest immediately after the collision. If you are able to collect evidence from the scene, take the opportunity. Take as many photographs and videos as you can of your injuries, the vehicles involved in the accident, and the area around the crash.
- Exchange Your Information: Next, you should exchange your contact, license, and insurance information with the other motorist. If any witnesses saw the accident happen, ask for their contact information as well.
- Contact an Attorney: Once you have sought medical care for your injuries, you should contact a lawyer right away. A Cleveland car accident attorney can help assess your situation and take your first steps toward recovering financial compensation.
Should You Speak to the Insurance Company After an Accident?
After a car accident, a representative from the other driver’s insurance company may reach out to you. This person may ask you to provide a statement or answer a few questions about the accident. While you may feel like this step is helpful, you should never speak to an insurance provider before consulting with a car accident lawyer.
Anything that you say to an insurance provider could be used as evidence in your claim. In the days and weeks following your collision, you may not know all of the facts about how it happened or how it has affected your life. You may not know the full extent of your injuries or damages either.
However, if you provide a statement to the insurance company, you cannot change your story later on—even if you learn new information. The company could use any discrepancies in your statements as a way to justify a low settlement or deny your claim altogether.
To protect your right to recovery, you should decline to speak with the insurance provider. State that you need to consult with your attorney instead. Then, schedule a free consultation with a Cleveland car accident lawyer if you have not done so already. Your attorney can handle negotiations with insurance providers on your behalf and prepare you for any statements.
How Long Do You Have to File a Car Accident Lawsuit in Ohio?
In Ohio, potential plaintiffs in civil lawsuits must abide by the statute of limitations. This law sets a deadline for filing certain types of claims, like car accident lawsuits. If you do not file within the appropriate time frame, the court will very likely dismiss your case and prevent you from recovering a settlement.
In Ohio, the car accident statute of limitations is two years from the date of the accident. There are some rare exceptions to this law, but in most cases, the two-year time limit will apply. To protect your right to recovery, speak to a lawyer at Bashein & Bashein as soon as possible to initiate your case.
Do You Need a Car Accident Lawyer for Your Claim?
While car accident claims can seem straightforward, many cases are more complex than they initially appear. In these situations, it is critical to seek legal representation for your claim.
At Bashein & Bashein, our attorneys are dedicated to recovering fair compensation for car accident victims. We have years of experience, a breadth of legal knowledge, and a wealth of resources that we can leverage to advocate for your right to recovery.
By hiring a lawyer to represent your claim, you can gain access to these benefits and strengthen your case. Your attorney will work diligently to gather evidence, calculate your potential settlement, and build a strong case for the courtroom or insurance company. We will guide you through each stage of litigation so that you have the strongest chance of recovering a settlement.
Contact a Cleveland Car Accident Lawyer Today
We work with some of the top crash reconstructionists in the country, who provide us with focused, specific expertise as we piece together what happened in your case and who is responsible.
To put our experience and resources to work for you, contact us today for a free initial consultation.