In Akron, an accident can happen at any place and at any time. You never know when a driver will unexpectedly run a red light or when a landlord will ignore dangerous and dilapidated property conditions. If you are injured by someone else, you could suffer from painful and sometimes life-altering injuries that can affect you for years to come.
If you find yourself in this situation, you deserve justice. At Bashein & Bashein Company, L.P.A., our Akron personal injury lawyers are dedicated to holding negligent parties accountable for their actions. You can trust our firm to represent your injury lawsuit and secure a settlement to help you recover from these serious losses.
Trust the Personal Injury Attorneys at Bashein & Bashein
- Our firm is dedicated to helping injured people across Ohio recover fair compensation from negligent parties. We have secured millions of dollars for our clients.
- Our attorneys have incredible experience in personal injury law and powerful legal skills. We maintain a case success rate of over 99%.
- Our personal injury lawyers are routinely recognized by their peers for their excellence. Over the past 17 years, we have been named among the Top 10 attorneys in Ohio.
The Types of Personal Injury Claims We Handle
A personal injury happens when you suffer any type of harm to your body or mind. In Ohio, victims of personal injuries can file a civil lawsuit against the person who caused their accident. These lawsuits can be complicated, but an attorney can guide you through the process and help you prepare for each stage of litigation.
At Bashein & Bashein, we represent injured Akron residents in a wide range of personal injury claims. Some of the lawsuits that we handle include:
- Car accidents
- Premises liability
- Defective products
- Motorcycle accidents
- Truck accidents
- Uber accidents
- Medical malpractice
- Slip and fall accidents
How to Prove a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Ohio
Personal injury lawsuits rely on the presence of negligence, or a person’s failure to uphold a certain duty of care. If you can establish negligence, you can recover compensation to pay for your medical care, lost wages, and other damages.
To prove a personal injury lawsuit in Ohio, you will need to prove four elements: duty of care, breach of duty, causation, and damages.
- Duty of Care: In certain situations or positions, some people are required to uphold a duty of care. Drivers have to follow the law and drive safely. Property owners have a duty to maintain safe premises. You will need to prove that the defendant in your case owed you a duty of care.
- Breach of Duty: After you establish the defendant’s duty of care, you will need to show that he or she breached or violated the duty in some way. For example, a driver who drives over the speed limit breaks the law and his or her duty of care.
- Causation: Next, you’ll need to show that the defendant’s actions directly caused your injury. You can leverage several pieces of evidence to establish causation, including medical records, police reports, witness testimonies, and photographs or videos of the accident.
- Damages: Finally, you will need to show that you suffered damages that you are eligible to recover in your lawsuit. Evidence like medical bills, repair invoices, and correspondence with your employer could help prove this element.
What Damages Can You Claim in a Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Many personal injury claims involve serious and painful injuries, like broken bones, brain damage, and paralysis. These injuries often require extensive medical care, which can be expensive, and may even prevent you from going to work.
By filing a personal injury lawsuit, you can recover compensation to help pay for these losses. There are two categories of damages: economic, which involves financial losses; and non-economic, which involve your pain and suffering.
Below are a few examples of damages that you could recover in a personal injury claim:
- Past and future healthcare expenses, such as surgeries, hospital stays, and prescription medications
- Property damage that you sustained in the accident, such as damage to your vehicle and the objects inside of it
- Lost wages during your treatment and recovery periods, and a loss of future earning potential
- Emotional distress, mental anguish, chronic pain, permanent disability, loss of quality of life, and other pain and suffering damages
In some situations, you may be eligible for punitive damages. Unlike economic and non-economic damages, which reimburse you for any losses that you suffered, punitive damages are intended to punish a defendant for egregious actions. Ohio courts will award punitive damages if you prove that the defendant acted with malice, aggravated or egregious fraud, or intent.
Benefits of Hiring an Akron Personal Injury Lawyer
Navigating a personal injury lawsuit can be challenging, especially after a recent injury. You want to focus on your health and recovery, not complex litigation. In these situations, hiring a personal injury lawyer can streamline the process.
At Bashein & Bashein, our attorneys have a deep understanding of personal injury law. We have represented many injured people in their claims and advocate aggressively for our clients’ right to compensation. By hiring a personal injury lawyer to represent your case, you can access deep legal knowledge, a wealth of experience, and critical resources to establish your right to compensation.
There are many benefits to hiring a personal injury lawyer, including:
- Familiarity with the Akron court system
- Experience representing clients in similar claims
- The ability to calculate your potential settlement
- Access to expert witnesses who can testify on your behalf
- The ability to negotiate with defense attorneys and insurance companies
- Knowledge of court procedures and requirements
- The ability to advise you on each stage of litigation
Schedule Your Free Consultation with Bashein & Bashein
If you suffered an injury because of someone else’s negligence, the Akron personal injury attorneys at Bashein & Bashein can help. Our lawyers value trust, integrity, and excellence and hold a case success rate of over 90%. We are dedicated to protecting your rights and the rights of injured people across Ohio.
Contact us today to schedule your free case consultation and discuss your legal options with an Akron personal injury lawyer. You can contact our firm by calling (216) 771-3239 or completing our online form.